Opera experience in Bishkek

28.1.2018
Cold weekend well spent indoors -series continues. Me, Para and Lamees embarked on a journey to find some culture. We went to Kyrgyz National Academic Opera and Ballet theater Maldybaeva to see a classic opera Don Juan. The tickets cost about 5 euros per person for the most expensive seats. Here it would be affordable for me to enjoy some opera or ballet culture every single weekend and they actually have a different show for every weekend; Saturday ballet, Sunday opera.

The opera building was quite beautiful but also a bit cold because of the weather. We left our coats with a nice babushka lady (who only spoke Russian) and proceeded to find the entrances. We also got to use some of our newly learned Russian; "I come from Finland/Indonesia/Egypt". We were trying to impress a lady selling programs and wearing a lovely traditional coat to get a picture with her (and succeeded). The hall had a lot of art but my favorite was a blue lady looking like a real opera diva.


The show was in Russian so I was enjoying the music and performance without understanding the lyrics. The hall was quite full, around 100 people or more. Compared to a Finnish theater I found the atmosphere quite relaxed. People were really reacting to the show. The atmosphere was less judging towards people coming in a bit late or coughing during the show (like me, sorry ppl). People were there to have a good time.

After the show we played the tourist card, got on the stage and asked to take pictures with the actors. Para told me to just get in there like "hiii I am from Finland, lovely show, can we take pictures..." and so I did.


All in all, it was interesting to see such a classic opera so far from home. Next we are setting our sights to a ballet, hopefully Swan Lake. I wish seeing opera and ballet would be equally affordable for me in Finland too. I would go to see something every weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting lost in banya experience vol 1 & 2

Gliding down a hill with a balloon